Melatonin is a bioactive molecule with an array of health-promoting properties; melatonin has been successfully used to treat sleep disorders, delirium, atherosclerosis, respiratory disease and viral infections.1 Except for treating sleep problems, there is significant data showing that melatonin limits virus-related diseases and would also likely be beneficial in COVID- 19 patients. Indeed, the positive effects of melatonin in alleviating acute respiratory stress induced by virus, bacteria and radiation was documented already in literature.2-4 As an endogenous molecule, melatonin production diminishes with increased age, and as Shneider et al. outline, children don’t suffer from COVID-19 as much as their grandparents. Moreover, melatonin role in reducing vessel permeability, anxiety, sedation use, and improving sleeping quality, might be beneficial for better clinical outcomes for COVID-19 patients. 5 Notably, melatonin has a high safety profile and is easily self-administered. 6
In their most recent publication, Reiter et al. suggest that melatonin should be given consideration for prophylactic use or treatment alone or in combination with other drugs to prevent the development of severe disease symptoms in coronavirus patients, reduce the severity of their symptoms, and/or reduce the immuno-pathology of coronavirus infection on patients’ health after the active phase of the infection is over.6 A clinical trial presently underway in USA aims to evaluate the efficacy of melatonin in the prophylaxis COVID-19 among healthcare workers.7
MORPHÉLIN – Melatonin 1 mg/spray.
Morphélin is a patented sublingual extra fine Spray emulsion of Melatonin 1 mg. It is a natural health product registered with Health Canada: NPN 80051235
Use: Morphélin helps:
-increase the total sleep time in people suffering from sleep restriction or altered sleep schedule.
-to prevent and/or reduce the effects of jet lag for people travelling by plane easterly across two or more time zones.
-to reduce the time it takes to fall asleep in people with delayed sleep phase disorder.
-re-set the body’s sleep-wake cycle.
Dosage: 1 to 10 sprays a day.8
- R.J. Reiter, Q. Ma, R. Sharma, Treatment of Ebola and other infectious diseases: melatonin “goes viral”, Melatonin Res 3 (2020) 43–57, https://doi.org/10.32794/mr11250047.
- X. Wu, H. Ji, Y. Wang, C. Gu, W. Gu, L. Hu, L. Zhu, Melatonin alleviates radiationinduced lung injury via regulation of miR-30e/NLRP3 axis, Oxidative Med. Cell. Longev. 2019 (2019) 4087298,
- 5] H.-K. Yip, Y.-C. Chang, C.G. Wallace, L.-T. Chang, T.-H. Tsai, Y.-L. Chen, H.-W. Chang, S. Leu, Y.-Y. Zhen, C.-Y. Tsai, K.-H. Yeh, C.-K. Sun, C.-H. Yen, Melatonin treatment improves adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cell therapy for acute lung ischemia-reperfusion injury, J. Pineal Res. 54 (2013) 207–221,
-  S.-H. Huang, X.-J. Cao, W. Liu, X.-Y. Shi, W. Wei, Inhibitory effect of melatonin on lung oxidative stress induced by respiratory syncytial virus infection in mice, J. Pineal Res. 48 (2010) 109–116,
- Alex Shneider, Aleksandr Kudriavtsev & Anna Vakhrusheva (2020) Can melatonin reduce the severity of COVID-19 pandemic?, https://doi.org/10.1080/08830185.2020.1756284
- 2 Reiter RJ, Abreu-Gonzalez P, Marik PE and Dominguez-Rodriguez A (2020) Therapeutic Algorithm for Use of Melatonin in Patients With COVID-19. Front. Med. 7:226. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2020.00226
- Efficacy of Melatonin in the Prophylaxis of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Among Healthcare Workers. (MeCOVID)https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04353128
- Morphelin information sheet. ERFA Canada 2012. 2015